Translate

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Simple and Saucy


Now this is as close as I can get to what my Grandma aptly called "cooked tomatoes". Used as a condiment in those simpler days in western Kentucky, my Mom's family hardly served a meal without beans and/or peas...with cooked tomatoes on top! It's part of my heritage :-) I came to love it, and my children came to love it.

To make it properly, you pick vine-ripened tomatoes out of a country garden, then you bring them in, wash them, peel them, and dice in medium chunks. Put in a pan and add salt, pepper, sugar, and bacon grease. Cook over low-medium heat till softened. Mash with a potato masher till your arm is ready to fall off, or until they are as smooth as possible. Then pour them up into a bowl and be prepared to do this all again soon as they will disappear right under your nose!

I must confess, however, that I "cheated" and used a large can (28 oz.) of petite diced tomatoes. Pour into a blender and puree briefly, which will make it look a bit foamy, but that will go away. Now pour the tomatoes into a pan, add 1/4 c. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, and 1 Tbs. bacon fat. Cook all over low-medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. It's almost as good as Grandma's, and yummy enough for me!!!

Update: Crushed tomatoes is just perfect for this...it's thicker and you don't have to puree :-) 

No comments: